- O love of God, how strong and true!
Eternal, and yet ever new;
Uncomprehended and unbought,
Beyond all knowledge and all thought.
- O love of God, how deep and great,
Far deeper than man’s deepest hate;
Self-fed, self-kindled like the light,
Changeless, eternal, infinite.
- We read thee best in Him who cam
To bear for us the cross of shame;
Sent by the Father from on high,
Our life to live, our death to die.
- We read thy power to bless and save,
E’en in the darkness of the grave;
Still more in resurrection light
We read the fullness of thy might.
- O love of God, our shield and stay
Through all the perils of our way!
Eternal love, in thee we rest,
Forever safe, forever blest.