- Heir of the kingdom, O why dost thou slumber?
Why art thou sleeping so near thy blest home?
Wake thee, arouse thee, and gird on thine armor,
Speed, for the moments are hurrying on.
- Heir of the kingdom, say, why dost thou linger?
How canst thou tarry in sight of the prize?
Up, and adorn thee, the Savior is coming;
Haste to receive Him descending the skies.
- Earth’s mighty nations, in strife and commotion,
Tremble with terror, and sink in dismay;
Listen, ’tis nought but the chariot’s loud rumbling;
Heir of the kingdom, no longer delay.
- Stay not, O stay not for earth’s vain allurements!
See how its glory is passing away;
Break the strong fetters the foe hath bound o’er thee;
Heir of the kingdom, turn, turn thee away.
- Keep the eye single, the head upward lifted;
Watch for the glory of earth’s coming King;
Lo! o’er the mountaintops light is now breaking;
Heirs of the kingdom, rejoice ye and sing.